June 24, 2014

Calm

And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep. And they went and woke him, saying, “Save us, Lord; we are perishing.” And he said to them, “Why are you afraid, O you of little faith?” Then he rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.
Matthew 8:24-26

It was a stormy day.

We had appointments with the facial plastic surgeon and the oral surgeon, both of which got changed from their original times. Schedule shuffle stress. Once at the ENT we had to wait over an hour past the changed time because they had an emergency surgery. Not that big of a deal for us, by then I had already given myself the day off, but it added to the anxiety of not knowing.

When we finally got back we were given news we had not expected...he IS going to need reconstructive surgery. Now. This week.

Once we got to the car there were tears. though we both kept it to a minimum. I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry until I was dehydrated. But I had to stay strong for his sake.

We had to go all the way back home to get his x-rays for the oral surgeon appointment...I knew I was forgetting something this morning!  To add to the summer fun he was already on deck for getting his wisdom teeth out. That doctor confirmed what we had heard at the ENT, and we were able to put off the wisdom teeth surgery until August, the week before school starts.

By then my head was spinning.

So, tonight, he and I got the boat out on the lake to fish and take our minds off the coming days. The sky had big billowy clouds and a not too hot sun which made the water shine like a mirror. As we worked our way around the edges, my mind still numb from the news, I stared at the reflection of the clouds and trees in the water and I was filled with an incredible peace. I heard an inner voice reminding me that what seemed upside down, towering in the murky darkness of the pond was only a reflection...that what was real was standing strong on the shore. And in the reflection of the clouds I was reminded that heaven isn't just "up there"...it's down here with us too.

Just then one of my favorite bugs landed on my fishing rod and in its beautiful iridescent wings I was reminded once again that the dragon is only a fly.

Peace be still. Sometimes He calms the storm...other times He calms His child.

M.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpi1gYlPqeM


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed! Please be kind and keep it positive... :)